The Microscopy laboratory is used by shipboard paleontologists to identify microfossils for dating the sediments.
- Two Zeiss SV-II binocular zoom microscopes, capable of 4–400× magnification and either reflected or transmitted light viewing, including cross-polarized light capability
- One Zeiss Axioplan microscope equipped for simultaneous transmitted and reflected polarized light viewing, with a large variety of objectives
- Two Zeiss Axioskop microscopes equipped for simultaneous transmitted and reflected polarized light viewing, with a large variety of objectives
- One Zeiss Axiophot microscope equipped for DIC, phase contrast, and fluorescence studies and for cross-polarized light, plane-transmitted light, and darkfield illumination
- Most microscopes are equipped with SPOT cameras for digital microphotography
- PICAT to photograph full thin section images in plane- and cross-polarized light (PICAT Quick Start Guide or PICAT User Guide)
- Please note that proprietary manuals are available upon request and subject to limited use
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy Reference Studies: A compilation of relevant publications in a PDF file.
- SEM Sputter Coating Quick Start Guide: Former called Leica EM ACE200 Sputter Coating: Quick Start Guide for Science Users
- SEM File Uploader Quick Start Guide
- SEM File Uploader User Guide
- SEM File Uploader Administrator User Guide
- SEM 3D Imaging Guide